Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Aftermath

It's all fun and games when you feel good and you're high off of the surging endorphins. But the aftermath of running semi-barefoot can be pretty ugly.

Take Exhbit A:



That is the bottom of my foot. And yes, that is a huge bruise/callus/blister on my poor big toe. I have one on the other foot as well (I figured you didn't need to see both of my ugly feet and instead could use your imagination).

Now, I had been getting these types of blisters in that exact same spot since I started running in the Vibrams. Most of the time, they would heal in a day or two and then, inevitably, would reappear the next time I ran. They normally aren't painful either. But after the 10K this weekend, these puppies were screaming for relief. They basically felt like a huge bruise on the bottom of your foot that yelps every time you take a step. I took a few days off to let them heal and they are actually back to normal again.

I think I am getting them because I am landing hard on that area. At the race, there were a couple of downhill parts (which I'm not used to) so that definitely contributed. I am going to be making a conscious effort to try not to land on that part of my foot and instead land more flat-footed and distribute the force.

Exhibit B:

No, this is not part of my body, but it has become my new best friend. It is The Stick, which is a do-it-yourself massage tool. And let me tell you, my calves sing its praises.

Let's just say that my calves are so tight that they cringe every time they see a staircase. I went out for a run this morning and only made it about 10 minutes out before they were crying out in agony. They were so tight that I thought they were going to pull my foot all the way up my leg. They were balled up and didn't want to let any tension out. When I got home, I massaged them out and while they did feel better, they are definitely still tight.

Here's a close up of The Stick cuz I just like it so much:


I need to make a conscious effort to stretch and massage my calves every single day, several times a day. What do I do when I sit in front of the TV after sitting in front of a computer all day? Nothing. What should I be doing? Massaging my calves. I'm sure they'll thank me for it later.

3 comments:

  1. Anica,
    You should visit/join the Barefoot Runners Society (www.barefootrunners.org). It is an online community of barefoot/minimalist runners that I think you would have a lot in common with.
    Blisters are caused by friction, heat & moisture (or some combination of these). If you were wearing a minimalist shoe, probably caused the blisters by rubbing. If you were totally barefoot, probably caused by pushing off w/your toes. But there are others in the society that can offer opinions as well. Come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were running barefoot, your blisters were probably caused by BEING AN IDIOT!

    Can't believe you ran the whole thing sans shoes! crazy! Congrats though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mike.

    I will definitely have to check out Barefoot Runners Society. I'm still learning about barefoot/minimalist running, so any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete