Saturday, December 18, 2010

I'm back!

I think I am officially back as a runner and that is so exciting! How, you ask, does one know if you can officially call yourself a runner? Let me count the ways:

  1. I rarely sleep in on the weekends anymore -- those beautiful morning hours are definitely for training, whether that be a long run or a long ride.
  2. When I began packing to go home for the holidays, I knew I had to make room for my running clothes. Regardless of whether I run once or each day I'm there, I know I'm going to need those clothes. That makes me happy.
  3. I have a small tennis ball under my desk at work. What is it for, you ask? Don't tell my boss, but I take my shoes off every now and again and massage my feet with the ball. Not only does it feel good, but it also helps to strengthen my toes and feet. Have you ever tried picking up a tennis ball with your feet? It's not as easy as you might think.
  4. I have a million water bottles. They are in my car, at my desk and in my room. And then of course, there are the ones I run with and ride with. They are pink, orange, green and Stanford-tree adorned. One can never have enough water (or water bottles).
  5. This morning, my back split from my out-and-back run was faster than my out split. I was moving really, really well and had found a great breathing rhythm. Totally clearing your mind and only focusing on the one step to one breath ratio is liberating. There's almost nothing that feels better.
It's been a while since I've felt this good about running and about being a runner. And I'm lovin' where I'm at.

No comments:

Post a Comment