Monday, February 25, 2013

World Book Night

It's amazing the things you can find on the Internet.

This is the really awesome organization that I came across a few weeks back. It's called World Book Night and it has the coolest tagline - spreading the love of reading, person to person. Here's how it works: on April 23, volunteers across the world (the group started in the UK) hand out books from a selected list to community members who don't regularly read to try to spread the joy of the written word. How cool is that?

After doing some research about the group, I decided I wanted to submit my name for a volunteer position and last week, I was chosen! This means that I get to hand out 20 copies of Moneyball to people who wouldn't normally have the access or means to read. I got to choose from a list of pre-selected books - you can see the whole list here.

The Redondo Beach area, where I live, is not lacking for much, so I will be venturing out to other parts of the Los Angeles area to hand out my 20 copies on April 23.

I am really, really excited about this opportunity for a few reasons. First, it's about books and I absolutely love getting other people excited about reading. Secondly, it's a chance to go out to a place that I normally wouldn't be and give back. Some people might think that giving a book isn't much help when gangs, drugs and violence are prevalent in these areas but I really believe that one book, to the right person, can change his or her life.

It's too late to get involved for World Book Night 2013, but please check out the site for information for next year. Let's get everyone in on spreading the love of reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment