Monday, May 17, 2010

A Brand New Barefoot Experience

Still getting my...feet...under me with this whole barefoot running thing. When I woke up this morning, the sky was overcast but I didn't realize that it had rained until I stepped out the door. Water + feet = very sensitive toes. But I figured I would give it a shot because if I'm going to be committed to this, I've got to be able to run in all types of conditions.

I'd have to say that the only curveball the water on the ground threw me was the fact that little pieces of gunk (pebbles, grass, sand, etc.) got stuck to my feet a whole lot easier. While most of the stuff fell off my feet within a couple of barefoot steps, I did notice that there were some pesky pieces that wouldn't fall off, which caused me to stop and brush them off. These pieces mainly were on parts of my feet that had contact with the ground that when I landed on them, they were uncomfortable. I guess this is a small price you have to pay for not wearing shoes.

I think I am making steady progress. The only thing that is experiencing a little bit of pain is my right ankle, which feels a little "tweaked" and strained because it doesn't have an orthotic to hold the arch in place, and therefore the ankle in place. I pulled out the trusty bag of frozen peas (the easiest and best way to ice any part of your body) and hopefully by not doing too much too quickly, my body will begin to adapt to this new movement.

1 comment:

  1. You should wear some saran wrap around your feet to keep rocks and stuff from hurting so much! I know, I'm a genius!

    ReplyDelete