Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Heels vs. Forefront

Lesson No. 1 About Barefoot Running: Get On Your Toes

The main difference between running in shoes and running without them is that in a shoe, we are heel-strikers. This collision between the heel and the ground sends a shockwave through the body that can often lead to injuries. When landing on the forefront of the foot while barefoot running, the motion is springy and "less of the body comes to a dead stop at the moment of impact, so there is less force involved in the collision."

At the same time, when you run more on your toes, your Achilles tendon and calf muscles have to work over-time to control your heel and not let it slap down on the ground. This load on these muscles is one of the reasons people say to start slowly when barefoot running.

I noticed the other day that I am definitely a heel striker, even when walking. I am trying hard to not land as hard as I do on my heel, but it is a really hard habit to break. It feels very un-natural to shift to a forefront strike and I think I do a better job of it when running barefoot because it is so obviously painful to heel strike without shoes on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big time heel-striker.. and I roll my feet a lot. Is that bad?

    ReplyDelete