Monday, October 24, 2011

Where the Streets Have No Name

I dropped the ball on Music Monday last week, so I had to make right by all of my readers (wait, are you guys still there...is this thing on?).

And so, I present to you U2 and a song about running, because that's what I did this weekend.




The boyfriend and I ran a trail 5k this weekend in Elysian Park in LA.  Here are a few of my thoughts about the whole thing:

1. The location was amazing.  We could see directly into Dodger Stadium from across the freeway.  It looked empty and sadly forlorn.

2. We almost couldn't find the race.  The start/finish was in a remote part of the park that was really difficult to find (made worse by the bad Google directions that the race had posted on their website).  People were literally driving circles around the park because there weren't any signs directing us to the right spot.

3. This is the second time this race was put on.  I expected a small turn-out and a little disorganization, and was disappointed when the race started 25 minutes late.  By that time, I had done a warm-up, had cooled down from the warm-up and started to get hungry.

4.  Switchbacks in the sun.  That's all I have to say.

5. My mind was really strong during this race.  It didn't turn on me, probably because I kept saying, "It's only 3 miles...heck, 3 miles is nothing."

6. My body felt pretty good.  Nothing hindered my performance, which is all I really ask for anymore these days.  My time was pretty decent, considering there were some hills.  Of course, I couldn't catch the girls in pink sports bras and shorty shorts.  Oh, and the guy who won the race in 14:41 should probably be tested for steroids.  What a beast!

7. I was the first female to cross the line in Vibrams.  And you know what that means? I got a free pair of Vibrams!  I was pretty stoked.

8. He wouldn't want me to tell anyone, but I beat the boy.  The best part of the race, though, was at the end when, even though I had gone across the finish line first, he came over and hugged me and told me how proud he was of me.  "I've got a badass girlfriend" were the exact words. :) 

9. It was refreshing to run a 5k after a few 10k's.  While racing can be fun, for me it's a time to really see how my body handles the "stress" and pushes through.  And of course, to give me a little confidence boost that I'm not totally out of shape.


1 comment:

  1. That's pretty awesome that you won a pair of Vibrams! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete