Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Likes long runs on the beach

I saw something the other day that I wanted so badly.  No, it wasn't compression socks.  Or the latest running gear.  Or even a really, really big burger after a really, really long run (although, now that you mention it...).

No, it was a couple running with a jogging stroller that was carrying a cute little baby curled up inside.  The kicker to my gut - they were running TOGETHER.  It was a family outing.  Not to the store or to Chuck E. Cheese.  But out and about on a Sunday morning run.  The mom & dad were talking as they pushed the stroller.  I imagined them discussing the cute thing the baby had done, or whose turn it was to cook dinner that night.  Or maybe they were just talking about how much they loved each other.

Having someone share what I love so much has become an increasingly important piece in what I search for in a man.  Is he active, first of all?  But more importantly, does he get up before the sun and shimmy into shorts & tennies (do guys shimmy?)?  Does he understand my need for 100 water bottles around the house? Does he want to share my Stick and foam roller or does he laugh at how silly they look piled in the corner of my bedroom?

I'm not looking for a 2:15 marathoner or someone who is an ultra-running freak.  I just want someone to truly understand what it means to be a runner: he joys of the sport, the down-in-the-dumps moments that are inevitable, the early nights (and mornings), the understanding of a mind turning on itself and the increasing fascination with GU.

I believe he's out there.  Somewhere.  So, calling all single runners...

No comments:

Post a Comment