Friday, August 26, 2011

After You, Fine Sir

I found myself in a predicament at a corner the other day.  No, not that kind of corner, silly.  The kind that you cross at 6:12 a.m., just as you're getting into the groove of your 45 minute run.

So, here I was at the corner.  To my left, I see a car getting ready to turn right into the street that I'm about to cross.  I stop, because I don't want this car to sideswipe me.  The driver has slowed down and when I look at her, she waves me on.  And then I wave her on.  And then she waves me on.  And we do this back-and-forth dance a few more times.  No, YOU go!  I was going to give her the right-away because I had already stopped running (and in effect, lost my groove...Stella, how do I get it back?).  But she was almost insistent that I cross before she makes her turn.

For those of you still confused, I've provided a detailed graphic interpretation of the situation.  If you'd like to hire out my artistic services, please contact my agent.



This isn't an unusual circumstance for runners and walkers to find themselves in.  Who really has the right-away here?  Let's break it down and look at it from both perspectives:

1. The Driver
I see that runner, but do I really want to slow down and let them go across?  I need to grab that box of donuts for the office and if I don't get there early enough, my favorite ones, the chocolate sprinkle- covered ones, will be gone.  Well, now she's waving me on...no, I said YOU go!  You're already "running"...why not just run on across the street?  I bet she doesn't even eat donuts...

2. The Runner:
I see that car, so I'm going to slow down at the corner to see if she makes the first move.  I've essentially lost all of my momentum now that I've stopped, since we've been waving each other on for the past 20 seconds.  Does she not understand that it is going to take me longer to get across than it would her?  That's why I keep telling her to go!

I guess, because the car is the larger vehicle (and could easily crush me as a runner), they should have the final say as to who goes first.  I think that if the driver tells me to go ahead, I'm going to take 'em up on it and continue on my merry way.  Predicament solved.  Call in the hounds, Watson...we've figured it out.

P.S. I do eat donuts.  Actually had one yesterday because the boss brought in a warm box for the office.  Chocolate-covered cake donut....MMMMMmmmmm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment