Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wide Open Spaces

"Tear down some two-lane country
Who knows
Get lost and get right with my soul
Makes me wanna take
Makes me wanna take a back road."

These are the lyrics to Rodney Atkins' "Take a Back Road" song.  It speaks straight to my being, especially lately.

I've been super homesick.



Not only for my family and house, but for dirt roads and wide open spaces and amazing sunsets and chilly mornings and the coo of the mourning dove that always woke me up in high school.  I miss driving by rows and rows of corn and passing trucks piled high with potatoes.  I want to smell "the farm" smell and feel the backyard grass between my toes.  I want to be able to drive down main street and not get cut off.  I want time to slow down to a comfortable meander and not feel rushed by the person tailgating me.

What I really crave, though, is to run on something other than pavement.  I want to cut through the quaking Aspens on a trail that is barely wide enough for me to fit on.  I want to feel a slight breeze and hear it rustle the golden leaves.  I want to suddenly come upon a rabbit or a bird perched on a fallen tree.

I realized that I am constantly on man-made surfaces and in man-made buildings. Sure, getting from point A to point B without having to take side roads is great, but I'm pretty sure that 6-lane highways are in no way natural.  I want nature back.

"So sick and tired of this interstate system
I need a curve and wide-a-twistin'
Dusty path to nowhere
With the wind blowing through my baby's hair"

No comments:

Post a Comment