Monday, August 29, 2011

No Matter How Far You Are

It's a fine Music Monday, peeps!  I realized something this weekend and found Ms. Alicia Keys to be able to put it into a gorgeous song.  I am a HUGE Alicia fan; I own all of her albums and have seen her in concert (which was a-to-the-mazing).  She has such a great sound and stage presence.  The combo of her classical piano background and soulful lyrics bring everything together.  So, let's take a listen and I'll explain why this song is special.


Alicia Keys - Distance And Time. LIVE by LeVitrail

Alicia starts this song with a shout-out to "all the lovers in the world separated by distance and time."  Over the weekend, I realized that I have suddenly found myself in that category,.

I live here.









My boyfriend lives here.

Ok, it's not quite like that.  It's more like 60 miles separating us.  Add in full-time jobs for both of us, LA traffic, a puppy to take care of (I seriously cannot write a blog post without mentioning Austin) and it all adds up to only getting to spend time together on the weekends, which is really, really hard.

Yes, we talk A LOT on the phone  - phone bills keep growing & minutes have to be added.  I do think this is a great way to build a relationship because if you are suddenly drawing blanks at the three-minute mark, then how are you going to get to know each other?  Our nightly conversations are lengthy and I've learned so much about him in a short span of time.

But there is only so much a phone conversation can do.  I want to be able to sit next to him, or hold his hand while walking down the street.  Being physically near each other is also important to building a relationship.  Seeing each other on the weekends is great because we can go out and catch baseball games and go shopping and hang out with friends and find cool restaurants and eat dessert (we like dessert).  Weekends afford us the flexibility of having days to ourselves.  BUT, if you hadn't noticed before, weekends are only two days long.  You can only stuff so much into two days.  This is where the struggle is.

The other sticky point is that while I want to spend as much time as I can with him, I don't want to monopolize HIS weekend.  He has friends and family in the area that he likes to catch up with.  I do like to hang out with his friends and that is a great way to kill two birds with one stone.  But as any girlfriend can tell you, we all want "only us" time.  But how can we do "only us" time without being totally insular and becoming "that" couple that only hangs out with each other?  Maintaining balance (in life and in a relationship) is a big key to staying happy. 

I guess I need to be patient and realize that things won't always be like this.  I need to embrace the time that we do have together and focus on the positives of our relationship.  This one's definitely worth working for and waiting on. 

"No matter how far you are
No matter how long it takes him
Through distance and time
I'll be waiting

And if you have to walk a million miles
I'll wait a million days to see you smile
Distance and time, I'll be waiting."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment