Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Momma Needs a New Pair of Shoes

The other day, I realized my Vibrams are torn on the area between my big toe and the next toe.  I guess I can't expect shoes to last forever, but I thought they would at least get me through a year and a half.  Soooo...you know what that means, right?! Shoe shopping, baby!

Ok, I guess I'm not really "shopping." I know what I'm looking for and there's not a whole lot of deviation; I'm going to get another pair of Vibrams.  Now, since I bought my first pair, Vibram has released several different styles of the "shoe."  The changes can normally be seen on the sole of the shoe (more tread) and on the upper (some lace up and are more sturdy than others).  What I'm really excited for, though, is the change in color.

Example One: My old Vibrams

Yeah, I know, they're kind of ugly. But they did the trick and eased me into minimalist running.  I was initially worried about them being all black, but because I was still self-conscious about running around in gorilla shoes, the color didn't scream, "Look at me."

Example Two: My (hopefully) new Vibrams



These beauts scream, "Look at me!!!"  I think now that I'm fully committed to minimalist running, I'll be ok with the stares I might get from people on the street.  And I have no doubt that people will look...these things are pretty flashy.  But it's not like other shoes aren't as bright:




I was told by my boss, who ordered these, that the color is "mango."  And still as ugly as ever.

Bright colors are hip & cool these days, whether it's in design or in fashion.  I find that I'm really comfortable in greys and blacks.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of adding a pop of color here and there.  That's why I think adding those rockin' pink & orange Vibrams will be perfect.

Side note: As I was doing some "research" on the Vibrams, I learned that they now are making them for kids.  And the first thing that came to my mind...how in the world are you going to get a five-year-old's toes in each little toe spot? Only a crazy parent would want to wrestle a kindergartener into a pair of feet gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment