Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Go Pre!

Quotes can be cliche.  They get overused and in turn, under-appreciated for the true tidbits of awesomeness that they really are.

I'm not the kind of person who spouts lines from movies ad nauseum.  Nor do I use lengthy quotes from important people to make me sound high and mighty.  But, there are a few quotes that I've taped to my computer or memorized to give me a little push when I need motivation.

The first is a no-brainer for a runner:

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
- Steve Prefontaine

This is a slice of magic.  I truly believe in what this quote says and while it can often be in reference to running, it has instead become my life mantra.  We each have at least one gift - how can we let it go to waste?


"A winner's strongest muscle is her heart."
- Cassie Campbell, Olympic Gold medalist, women's hockey

Each coach that anyone will ever have will tell you that your heart & spirit fuel teams to wins.  I bet Coach Taylor probably told his Panthers that as long as you put your heart into the game, everything else will fall into place.  Sometimes these sentiments fall flat - teams lose, no matter how much "heart" they showed.  But sometimes they make athletes (and people in general) realize that their motivation and drive will eventually, if not right away, bring them victory.



"Great effort springs naturally from great attitude."
- Woody Hayes, college football coach

I always try to have a positive attitude.  I've found that it makes everything else much easier: connecting with people, enjoying life, tackling projects.  When I have a good attitude, it is extremely hard to get me down and in turn, I want to do things.  I want to help where I can and affect change.  Everything starts from doing your best at keeping smile on your face.


"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think."
- Christopher Robin to Pooh


That Christopher Robin kid was brilliant beyond his young years.  We as human beings are burdened with doubt, something that other mammals do not have to deal with.  Doubt is an ugly, ugly thing and causes people to do crazy things, often giving up on themselves and others.  But as Christopher Robin says, you are better than doubt.  Do not ever sell yourself short.

No comments:

Post a Comment