Friday, August 19, 2011

No One Likes a Grumpy Pants

Sleep.

Bedtime. Nap. Snooze. Zzzzs. Pillow. Blankie. Blanket. Comfy. Dreaming.

I'm a big fan of sleep and have always been able to fall asleep really quickly.  I actually think that my abilities are genetic - all of my dad's family are sleepers and can snooze at the snap of a finger.  It's an amazing quality to have.  Me and naps are tight - BFFs, if you will.  Austin likes them, too.

One downfall, though, is that I need a lot of sleep.  I cannot function on less than seven hours of sleep every night.  I get extremely grumpy if I don't get enough ZZzzz time.  I know, I know, I sound like an old lady (and the boyfriend actually calls me grandma when I tell him I need to hit the sack).  But, the National Sleep Foundation says that adults should get between seven and nine hours of sleep every night.  So there.

But in all seriousness, sleep is such a vital part of staying healthy.  If you don't get enough sleep, you don't feel like exercising.  If you don't feel like exercising, you're gonna sit on the couch eating Goldfish and Popsicles and tortilla chips (oh, wait, that might have been me last night).  You lose any motivation to do anything when you are tired.  Then, your days become consumed with slipping in and out of consciousness or lounging or staring blankly at the TV as "I Love Lucy" and "Brady Bunch" reruns flicker.  Sure, it's fun to have a down day and sleep in late and stay in bed even later.  I'm not going to deny that.  At least for me, though, once I get in that mode, it's hard to peel my backside off of the comfy, comfy couch (just one more episode, I swear).

So, what's the point I'm trying to make in all of this sleepy gobbly-gook?  Just that.  Sleep.  It's vital for your body, it's healthy for any relationships you have (no one likes a grumpy pants) and it makes the world go round.  Yeah, that's right...sleep makes the world go round....I should market that...make it into a song...who's with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment