Monday, August 15, 2011

When You're Happy Like a Fool...

Have you ever come across a song that embodies how you are feeling at the exact moment you hear it?  It seems to say what is going through your head in a perfectly succinct way that only songs can do.

I listened to OneRepublic's new song "Good Life" on repeat this weekend.  Every time I listened to it, I couldn't believe how it made me smile and gave me this warm, gooey feeling inside.  Let me allow you the pleasure of listening to it (and really listen to it...don't just watch the video):



My life is super good right now.  Have you ever been at that place where your heart is full and your mind is happy?  Here's why I feel the way I do:
  • Austin. He's a cute puppy who is always up to something. He makes me smile on a daily basis and when he comes to curl up at my feet, the world feels right.  I'm pretty sure God gave us dogs to remind us that life really is simple...they love unconditionally, and I believe that's the true meaning of it all.
  • Being able to run when I want, how I want and not let my body dictate (ie. stop me from doing something I love). The freedom of just going out into the world is exhilarating.  Our bodies are magical specimens that we shouldn't take for granted.
  • I've recently had the time and motivation to start reading again! And let me tell you...a good book sure does my soul well.  There's nothing quite like getting lost in the great words of brilliant wordsmiths.
  • My boyfriend, Dave, makes me laugh every single day. It doesn't matter whether it's through a text, on the phone or in person, not a day goes by when I don't laugh until it hurts with him (or at him, sometimes).  His mantra to life (live like you were dying) encourages me to wake up a little bit earlier, enjoy each moment a little bit more and don't stress the small stuff.
  • A job can be a job, or a job can be something you put your energy into and enjoy.  Mine falls into the latter category.  I don't ever dread coming to work.  I usually look forward to it (come on, now, I get the Monday blues just like everyone else).  My position allows me to work freely on projects I'm interested in, while helping others in departments that I'm not in, further broadening my work "education."  It's creative work that keeps the mind young, and fortunately for me, I do a lot of it.
  • Simply Limeade. A drink that makes my tastebuds jump (literally) for joy.  It's not very sweet like other limeades; this one has the tartness that a natural lime has.  I'm not kidding you that when I think about it, my mouth starts watering. It's that good.
  • I have friends that any girl would be jealous to have.   They truly get me.  Almost nothing can compare to a girlfriend who can finish your sentence or thinks the same thing you do at the same time.  In my mind, having one friend "get" you is much more important than having 10 friends "like" you.  Quality over quantity, people.  Find yourselves some good peeps.
  • My family rocks my socks off.  We've reached the point where my parents are still my parents, but they are now cool and hip and fun to be around.  They provide advice but let us make decisions on our own.  They understand that we are adults and are out in the wide world (but that doesn't mean my mom's not going to worry all the time or pray rosaries when we go on road trips). 
    Obviously there's more to my life than these few bullet points.  The beautiful thing about it all is that all of the things I've mentioned (plus the ones I didn't) meld and combine into a simple thing that we call life.  Isn't it crazy to think that we are here, living, breathing, thriving?

    "We are God of stories, but please tell me
    What is there to complain about?

    When you're happy like a fool, let it take you over
    When everything is out, you gotta take it in."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment